Asthma New Zealand – The Lung Association in partnership with Unitec, School of Health and Community Studies offers 2 distance-learning courses.
1. The Asthma Nursing Course is available to Registered Nurses who work in the community at primary and secondary care level with people who have asthma.
2. The Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Nursing Course is available to Registered Nurses who work in the community at primary and secondary care level with people who have COPD.
The aim of the courses is to provide the learner with the knowledge and skills to plan and deliver asthma and COPD care in primary, secondary and tertiary nursing practice.
To achieve this aim the asthma and COPD nursing course:
- Offers access to teaching and learning concepts and information which enable nurses to plan and deliver nursing care and education to asthma and COPD patients.
- Provides the opportunity for nurses to increase the scope of their practice in the field of asthma and COPD care.
- Assists nurses to develop an ongoing interest in and commitment to their own development as teachers and as learners.
This outcome is achieved by a commitment to collaboration with all stakeholders in asthma and COPD, including consumers.
The course utilizes adult teaching and learning theory and relies on the learner to consider the content provided and to incorporate this into their professional practice through active reflection and critical thinking.
Reflection, critical analysis and other process skills are integrated throughout the course.