Many of us will be taking the opportunity over the holiday period to get away and experience new places.
Travelling with Asthma may mean some forward planning to ensure you have an enjoyable trip away but it should not hold you back.
So here are some things to remember if travelling away from home over the holiday season:
- Talk to your GP - especially if travelling overseas. Ask about which vaccines may be appropriate for your particular destination.
- When talking with your GP, review and make sure your Asthma action plan is up to date.
- Have a written copy of your Asthma action plan that details treatment you may need in case of an emergency. It may help to share this with people you are travelling with.
- Continue taking your preventer every morning and night or if on Breo, daily.
- Continue with hay fever medication / antihistamines if taken. Asthma and Hay Fever are closely related and can exacerbate each other.
- Ensure you have enough inhalers and medication to last the entire duration of the stay plus a little bit extra, just in case.
- Know your triggers and keep an eye out during your travels.
- Have a plan in case you become unwell with Asthma. Identify where the local hospital/ urgent care clinic are.
- Have a list of local emergency numbers with you, in case you need it.
- For peace of mind, we recommend health insurance and travel insurance for your trip.
Have a wonderful summer where ever you have the pleasure of being.