ARE YOUR ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA WORSE THAN NORMAL?
If you or a loved one are finding this summer particularly challenging with allergies and asthma you are not alone. Last summer Asthma NZ received very few calls and referrals for support with the management of asthma. This summer we are experiencing the opposite. As highlighted by the Asthma and Respiratory Foundation the humid, rainy, and windy La Nina weather is perfect for the growth of pollen-producing plants. Something New Zealand has an abundance of.
If you or a loved one is struggling with their asthma this summer please do not put off the following:
- Use your preventer medication daily. Remember it takes up to 4-weeks to come into effect so be patient, the sooner you start the sooner you will experience the benefits.
- Carry a spacer and blue reliever all the time.
- Ensure your medication has not expired.
- Make sure your medication is not empty.
- Know what to do in case of an asthma emergency.
- Ensure your loved ones know what to do in an emergency.
- Go outdoors earlier or later in the day if possible, when the wind has died down.
- Keep windows and doors closed when mowing the lawn.
- Change clothes and wash hair more regularly – pollens are very adhesive.
- Where possible consider the windows/doors you open to try and reduce the spread of pollens carried by the wind through the house.
There are many more tips and tricks that may help you enjoy the summer weather with allergies and asthma managed well. Never hesitate to call us, Asthma NZ Nurses are here to help and have a wealth of knowledge that can help you breathe easy.
Asthma NZ 0800 227 328
Please remember all our services are FREE and here for you when you need them.