Breathe Easy Tamariki
Respiratory education - HEALTH INTO THE HANDS OF OUR FUTURE
- The Breathe Easy Tamariki program is helping schools educate in lung health.
Evidence based - developed in collaboration with Tu Kotahi Maori Asthma Trust and Te Atawhai O Te Ao Maori Research Institute.
- Materials developed by the Otago Respiratory team under the guidance of Bernadette Jones and Dr Tristram Ingham.
- Delivered In-person delivery by Asthma NZ.
- 4 x 30 min interactive learning modules for tamariki.
- Comprehensive toolkit & education module for school staff.
- Whānau Fun Days.
- Participation in Community events.
- Increase their health literacy.
- Give young people confidence to take control of their health.
- Improve their breathing techniques.
- Empower our young people to make smart choices about their lung health.
- Provide tools and awareness to recognise asthma in themselves or their whānau.
- Give them confidence to respond well in an asthma emergency.
- Reduce school absenteeism due to asthma.
- Keep our young people fit and active as they manage their asthma well.
From the pilot in Mangere
- Less than 30% were able to locate their lungs prior to the delivery of the program.
- On average only 1 child per class was able to explain why oxygen was important.
After the program
- 90% correctly identified the main respiratory organs in the body.
- 98% identified smoking as harmful to their lungs.
- 79% correctly identified the steps to take in an asthma emergency.
- 88% scored higher than 75% in the health quiz.
- 100% identified oxygen as the petrol that fuels the human body - they identified thinking clearly and running fast as two things impacted by not breathing well.
“Nothing else matters when you can’t breathe”